SmartFold Picnic Basket Review
There is more to packing up a picnic than you might think. You have to make sure that your food and drinks are secure and easy to carry, and you will want to use a basket that you can easily carry back when you are done.
The SmartFold Picnic Basket from Beckworth & Co is designed to make your lunch on the go easier.
We had a chance to review the product for ourselves to see if it lives up to the hype – here is everything we loved about the Smartfold Basket, and everything you need to know before you purchase it.
- ✔ INSULATED BASKET WITH LARGE 32 LITER CAPACITY - This large insulated bag is spacious enough to hold many items. It allows you to store snacks, fruits, beverages, cutlery, dishes, bottles of wine or champagne, water bottles, soda, or anything else you need. Includes extra front pocket in to store smaller items. It can hold up to 20 kg. or 44 lbs.
- ✔ HIGH-QUALITY CONSTRUCTION & INSULATION - Made with Cationic Dyed Polyester which offers better durability than 600D Oxford polyester. Picnic cooler designed with extra padded insulation to keep food warm and drinks cold. Perfect to bring even on long trips as the picnic cooler bag keeps perishables fresh.
- ✔ COLLAPSIBLE & HASSLE-FREE STORAGE - Folding basket has a polyester canvas which conveniently folds flat and folds in half. Comes with a strap to lock it in place. Easy to store away when not in use and will not occupy much space.
- ✔ LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM FRAME - Insulated basket features solid durable frame which makes it easy to carry. Weighs only 1.9 lbs. (0.85 kg).
- ✔ MODERN LOOK COMPLEMENTS ANY OCCASION - Can be used all-year round for various occasions like potluck, BBQ, picnic, camping, hiking, traveling, road trip, fishing, outdoor concerts or music festival, even grocery shopping or just about anywhere you and your friends need a large insulated cooler bag.
SmartFold Picnic Basket Review
This is an insulated, collapsible picnic basket. At its full size, it measures about 17 by 11 by 9 inches.
The inside of the basket is insulated to keep food warm (or to keep drinks chilled).
When it is empty, the basket folds down to about 11 by 11 by 4 inches – for your reference, that’s a little larger than a baseball glove.
It weighs less than 2 pounds on its own.
The picnic basket comes in two parts: the basket, and the folding aluminum frame.
The frame fits onto the top of the basket, with a handle that locks into an upright position for easy carrying.
Ease of use
We don’t generally think about how easy it is to use a basket – but I was actually surprised by how simple the design of this product is.
It easily folds down to its compact size to carry in a backpack or by hand. When you need to use it, you just unfold the frame and snap the handle into place.
It only takes a few seconds.
Removing the basket to clean or store it is very quick, too, with Velcro notches along the rim.
Why use a folding picnic basket?
I was a little skeptical about the folding feature of this basket at first. After all, how much more portable does a basket need to be?
But I quickly realized that the portability of this basket is super handy for camping, backpacking and hiking.
You can take your food with you on the first part of a hike, and then collapse the bag and put it into a backpack to have your hands free for the rest of the day.
Or, when you are camping, you can use the picnic basket on a day trip and then pack it away with the rest of your gear when you are done.
The folding frame of the basket is made out of hollow aluminum.
Aluminum is a great material because it is super light, but strong and naturally corrosion resistant. That means you can use this basket in all kinds of weather without it getting rusty or spotted.
The fabric of the basket is also weatherproof. It is made out of sturdy dyed polyester, with an insulated coating along the inside.
The fabric is thick enough that it will not tear or stain.
I set the bag down on rocks, grass and dirt and have not noticed any difference in the material.
One issue I had with this basket is that the aluminum frame only surrounds the top of the basket. The walls and bottom of the SmartFold basket are soft.
It will stand up on its own on a flat surface, but it slouches a little, which may cause your food to tip around inside.
Other than that, this is a pretty tough little picnic basket. It will definitely hold up to outdoor use in all kinds of weather.
Depending on how often you use it, it should last for years of use without tearing or wearing out.
If it weren’t collapsible, I would think this picnic basket is a little bigger than necessary. It has a 32-liter capacity – that’s enough to hold a full feast, including the wine bottle.
For two people, it is probably more space than you will need on your picnic. The size is ideal for feeding three or more, plus drinks.
Because it folds down when you are done using it, though, the big size is not an issue.
This basket is big enough to hold everything you need when it is unfolded and tiny enough to fit into your pack when it is folded up.
I never thought a picnic basket could be a luxury item, but this one really is.
The SmartFold basket keeps your food secure and insulated, and it is incredibly easy to carry out when you are done.
I would definitely recommend this basket to someone who likes to spend their time outdoors in style.
It will make a great impression on a first date, or help to get the party started on a beach day or bonfire.
Ferenc Elekes has been a devout Overlanding enthusiast for many years. During that time, Ferenc has explored 75 countries on six continents, with overland travel involved in 40 countries on three continents. From his trusty 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado with a roof-top tent, he’s blogged about experiences that can only be found in the remotest regions on Earth. Along the way, he's gained in-depth knowledge of the novel challenges overlanders encounter and practical ways to meet them. On his website, he shares informed opinions about everything from the best overland gear to how to get a vehicle unstuck. Ferenc has also written for Ih8mud, the Expedition Portal, the Overland Journal, and he is often invited as a guest to outdoors-related podcasts.
Popular articles on OverlandSite
Follow Us on Instagram
Sign Up To Receive FREE Guides
hello, we are Evelin and Ferenc,
Sign up to learn more about overlanding!
We will occasionally email you with new stories, overlanding guides and product recommendations. Nothing spammy, don't worry!
YOUR PRIVACY IS PROTECTED